The struggle for immigrant rights and the fight against police brutality are connected. Black communities for generations have disproportionately borne the brunt of police militarization and brutality that often is also deployed to detain and deport immigrants.
New Jersey Immigrant Justice Center (NJIC)
We write in solidarity with the nationwide popular uprisings calling for justice for George Floyd, and for an end to the long, violent history of anti-Black racism by the police. Our newsletter is interrupted—as are so many people’s lives right now—by the surging demand that Black Lives Matter.
We mourn the loss of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and David McAtee. Rest in power to all who have died in the hands of police, ICE, or CBP. We recognize that these most recent deaths occur during a global pandemic that disproportionately impacts Black, Brown, and immigrant communities in the U.S., with nearly 23,000 deaths of Black Americans. We honor the tens of thousands who have poured into the streets, with courage and commitment, to turn our public mourning into political change.
WHAT CAN WE DO?
- Consider joining local protests, while protecting ourselves from health risks or police arrests. For updated listings of NYC protests see @justiceforgeorgenyc
- Demand justice by signing the petitions for George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, and David McAtee.
- On Monday, June 8th, 3:30pm to 5:00pm, join the NYS Day of Action for Education. Come to the socially distanced march on 34th Ave in Jackson Heights starting at 69th street. “March for Schools! Defund the Police.”
- Donate to local and national Bail Funds to help protesters quickly get out of jail during a pandemic that is spreading through the prison and detention system. Here is a Directory of Immigration System Bail Funds.
- Support organizations calling to “Defund the NYPD” and reallocate monies to education and community services.
- #repeal50a and join with Communities for Police Reform to demand the repeal of section 50-A of the NY state code to bring transparency to the misconduct and disciplinary records of every officer charged with brutality.
- Attend a forum on Tuesday, June 9th, 8:00pm to 9:00pm on how the millionaire’s tax can be used to fully fund our schools, dismantle the police presence in schools, and return to school in safety following the pandemic.
- Support the four demands, including defunding the NYPD, announced in an open letter to the mayor written by over 300 current and former staffers for de Blasio.
- Add our names to the Alliance for Quality Education petition telling Mayor De Blasio to Defund the NYPD and invest in school
- Educate ourselves about local and national campaigns to end police violence.
Jackson Heights Immigrant Solidarity Network
Image copyright Lorie Shaull